At Terminal Park Dental Clinic, We Recommend Sealants. Here’s Why…
As your dentist in Nanaimo, we always have your, and your family’s, best interest in mind. It’s our job to help you keep healthy – in body and smile – and all of us at Terminal Park Dental Clinic take this very seriously. With a preventive view in everything we do, our goal is to intercept oral health issues before they happen … to keep you smiling.
One of the most-simple things you can do for your oral health – besides keeping an excellent home care routine of brushing at least twice a day and flossing once a day – is to consider dental sealants.
What are dental sealants? They are a thin plastic coating that is applied to the chewing surfaces of teeth (usually the molars and premolars) to protect them from decay-causing bacteria. Because it’s applied in liquid form, sealants seep into the deep pits and fissures on the tooth surface, creating a protective shield over the tooth enamel. The sealant is applied like paint and is completely comfortable.
Dental sealants are ideal for:
- Children who are unable to brush their teeth effectively
- Anyone who keeps a less-than-ideal homecare routine
- Patients who have mobility challenges
- Those suffering from dementia and whose oral hygiene is irregular
- People with naturally deep pits and fissures in their molars.
Benefits of dental sealants include:
- Cavity Prevention – While we can brush tricky areas where bacteria like to hide, toothbrush bristles can’t always reach to the bottom of a groove in a tooth to clean it. By sealing these grooves off after a professional cleaning, it eliminates the crevasses and teeth cleaning becomes much easier.
- Easy application. Having a dental sealant placed on one or more teeth is a simple, non-invasive treatment. The tooth is simply prepared, and the sealant material is brushed on. It’s then cured with a safe ultraviolet light.