At Terminal Park Dental Clinic, We Recommend Sealants. Here’s Why…
As your dentist in Nanaimo, our goal is to keep you smiling brightly and confidently. With a continual focus on prevention, our mission at Terminal Park Dental Clinic is to educate our patients on what it takes to keep their mouth healthy – for life! And, along with a standout at-home dental hygiene practice of brushing twice and flossing once daily, applying dental sealants to your teeth is one of the best protective steps you can take for your smile.
A thin liquid coating that’s applied to the chewing surfaces of molar and premolar teeth, sealants shield them from bacteria that causes decay. Its liquid format fills the deep pits and fissures of teeth and offers protection above and beyond what natural tooth enamel provides.
Who Can Benefit From Dental Sealants?
- Children who have their first molars
- Adults who have not had a filling placed in their molars
- Patients of all ages who experience mobility challenges
What Are The Benefits Of Applying Dental Sealants?
- They prevent cavities. Toothbrushes can reach many tooth surfaces, but their bristles are not always able to reach and clean deep tooth grooves. By sealing these areas, crevasses are protected and teeth cleaning becomes easier.
- They’re easily applied. An easy and non-invasive treatment, applying sealants requires that the tooth is cleaned before the liquid coating is brushed in place. The coating is then hardened with an ultraviolet light.
- They’re more affordable than fillings.Dental sealants for children are covered by many insurance companies until the age of 18, while adults may receive coverage with some plans. This is due to the fact that sealants cost far less than treatments and restorations for tooth decay, including fillings, crowns, root canals, or extractions.
- They’re long-lasting.Caring for teeth treated with sealants is no different than caring for natural teeth. Do your best to pass on hard, crunchy foods (such as candy and ice), and they should last up to 10 years. They should also be regularly assessed for chips or wear.
- They’re effective. Studies show that sealants can reduce the risk of decay by nearly 80%. And, according to the Centers For Disease Control, school-age children who do not have sealants applied to their teeth experience almost three times more cavities than children who have them.
Call Us About Dental Sealants Today
- Prevent cavities
- Minimize the need for complex dental treatments
- Stop early stages of decay from developing into a cavity
- Beneficial for kids and adults alike
- Boost your tooth health -- affordably!